- This event has passed.
YMCA Global Conversation: Afghanistan
Monday 30 August @ 14:00 - 16:00 CEST
We have all witnessed and keep witnessing the horrors of what is happening in Afghanistan these days.
Although the YMCA is not directly present in Afghanistan, what is happening there will sooner or later have an effect upon most of us. As such, we are convening the first YMCA Global Conversation, in partnership with APAY (Asia and Pacific Alliance of YMCAs) , on the situation of Afghanistan, and would like to invite you to join us next Monday on 30 August at 14:00 CET.
Why should you attend?
- It will be an opportunity to gain new insights and perspectives on what is happening in Afghanistan (as well as why) from high-level experts and people who are directly engaged in this context;
- You will hear from 2 keynote speakers with direct and hands-on experience in Afghanistan, as well as 4 YMCA speakers who are either involved in the regional context or are working with Afghan refugees directly;
- You will be better prepared to understand and plan for future outcomes which can affect your own country and YMCA, depending on where you live.
- Emma Leslie– Emma Leslie, an Australian – Cambodian, is founder-director of the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, supporting peace processes and conflict transformation in Asia. Emma was one of 1000 women nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005, and was profiled by KAICIID as a ‘hero of dialogue’.
- Alessandro Monsutti– Alessandro Monsutti is a Professor at the Department of Anthropology and Sociology at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva. He is the author of War and Migration: Social Networks and Economic Strategies of the Hazaras of Afghanistan (Routledge, 2005).
- Rachael Rinaldo– Senior Director, New Americans Initiative & Global Partnerships, YMCA of Greater New York; World YMCA’s Community of Impact on Refugees & Migrants Leader.
- Melanie Burns– Manager of Newcomer Support Services, YMCA of Greater St. John (Canada), engaged directly in welcoming Afghan refugees.
- Bertram Devadas– National General Secretary, The National Council of YMCAs of India.
- Emanuel Sarfraz– Emanuel Sarfraz is General Secretary of Lahore YMCA. He has been associated with the YMCA for more than three decades. He has worked on different projects including education and rehabilitation of Afghan refugees.
- Official Welcome by Carlos Sanvee
- Keynote speaker: Dr. Emma Leslie, Centre for Peace&Conflict Studies
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Alessandro Monsutti, Graduate Institute of Geneva
- YMCA on the Ground: Panel Discussion with Mr. Emanuel Sarfraz (YMCA Pakistan), Mr. Bertram Devadas (YMCA India), Mrs. Melanie Burns (YMCA St. John, Canada) / Moderated by Rachael Rinaldo, YMCA New York
- Q&A and Open Debate: What can YMCAs do? / Moderated by Rachael Rinaldo
- Concluding thoughts by Nam Boo Won, APAY
Please note the agenda might be adapted/changed until the day of the event.
Registration is open to any YMCA and non-YMCA participants
In order to attend the event you need to register.