Preparing young people
for decent jobs & sustainable livelihoods
YMCA is committed to providing quality education, vocational training, and opportunities to young people to prepare ensure they have the experience and knowledge needed to succeed in today’s modern work environment.
Young people are valuable economic participants and have a right to contribute to the world’s development and wellbeing. Through YMCA programmes, young people address issues relating to youth employment and economic empowerment.
- Some 75 National YMCAs worldwide are working in employment related issues
- YMCA worldwide runs nearly 5,000 programmes on employment related issues, involving and reaching almost 516,000 people (Data: 2018)
Wait for more when the new YMCA-wide worldwide Employment and Entrepreneurship ‘Community of Impact’ brings together all of the Movement’s work on the issue, and how it plans to share and accelerate that work.
Examples of projects
- African Knowledge Creation (YMCA Africa): the African Renaissance University (ARU) aims to prepare a generation of transformed leaders for the African Renaissance. In terms of locating the university in Kenya, the ARU main campus will be at YMCA Limuru Agricultural College (YLAC) and its technical wing at Shauri Moyo, National Training Institute (NTI).
- Vocational Training Center – Jericho (YMCA East Jerusalem): operates a variety of programs and activities consistent with its vision for Holistic Youth Development.
- YMCA Niagara (YMCA Canada) offers employment programmes to support job seekers
- YMCA Project Bridge (YMCA Singapore / Asia and Pacific Alliance of YMCAs) reaches out to out-of-school youth and youth-at-risk to integrate them back into society through meaningful programmes and activities.
- Virtual learning spaces during Covid-19 (YMCA USA)
YMCA Vision 2030 is a Movement-wide Vision statement, Mission statement, and four key areas of activity (‘Pillars of Impact’). It was adopted at the 20th YMCA World Council in July 2022.
Each of the four key areas of activity sets three collective goals to turn the priorities into action: at the YMCA, at the community, and at the global levels.
Vision 2030 is a framework for global alignment which allows each of the 120 YMCA National Movements to go at their own pace according to their own strengths and their own communities’ needs, in pursuit of common goals.
Vision 2030 pdf
Read the World YMCA’s position paper on Employment (2018 – PDF – 7KB)
The Global Youth Mobilization (GYM) is hiring a Senior Programme Manager
Global Youth Mobilization Senior Programme Manager Title: ...20/04/2022
YMCA Europe and World YMCA seek a Project Manager and Proposal Writer
YMCA Europe is hiring for a joint position with World YMCA, a “Project...19/01/2022
Advocating for a just, equal and inclusive world
The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65) took place online from 15 to ...21/07/2021
World Youth Skills Day 2021: creativity and resilience to face the pandemic
World Youth Skills Day, observed annually on 15 July, focuses on equipping young people wi...14/07/2021
Over to you!
The three-day YMCA Youth-Led Solutions Summit on the Future of Work finished yesterday. Bu...10/06/2021
Caring for ourselves, for others and for the world
Day 2 of the Youth-Led Solutions Summit on the Future of Work focused on the Care Economy ...09/06/2021
Welcome to the Future of Work
How do we talk about work opportunities and career paths in a post-COVID world, where so m...08/06/2021
World YMCA joins the Global Initiative on Decent Jobs for Youth
Geneva, 4 June 2021. World YMCA, one of the oldest and largest youth-focused movements in ...04/06/2021
Youth-Led Solutions Summit on the Future of Work!
A generation of opportunity lost to Covid? No, there are new ways of working for young peo...11/05/2021
Promoting the best flavours of Guatemala
Promoting the best flavours of Guatemala Aura Carlota de Fátima Cantoral Milian de Gutié...27/04/2021
Training the future generation of Ghanaian movie makers
Kwabena Eddie Mankata, 35, is a filmmaker, screenwriter, author and movie director. He is ...23/03/2021