Putting the YMCA’s Vision 2030 quest for a Sustainable Planet into action by raising the voice of young people at COP 28
Applications are now open to join the YMCA delegation to the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP28) from 30 November to 12 December 2023 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
We are recruiting young, passionate YMCA climate activists to join the YMCA team at COP28, a global negotiation focused on climate talks involving civil society, business, and national governments. Our diverse team, representing YMCA branches in 120 countries, aims to advocate for climate justice, youth representation, and positive change towards a successful climate transition.
Why are we going?
As the world’s oldest and one of its largest youth and community organizations, the YMCA has consistently advocated for the well-being and resilience of young people. Aligning with the third pillar of YMCA Vision 2030 – ‘Sustainable Planet’ – advocating for a successful climate transition is a vital part of our efforts. YMCA has attended COP conferences since COP15, ensuring that climate justice and youth and local perspectives are included in international discussions.
Who are we looking for?
We seek around 10 passionate individuals dedicated to the mission and vision of a successful climate transition. Whether you are a seasoned professional or an entry-level activist, we value collaborative team members who can effectively communicate and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Familiarity with international spaces, global backgrounds, and adaptability are essential qualities.
Additionally, two individuals will be selected for leadership roles alongside the Head of the Delegation.
We require that all applicants are endorsed by their National YMCA Movement.
What are the benefits?
Joining the YMCA delegation at COP offers a life-changing perspective and professional development opportunity in advocating through multilateral approaches. Major benefits include access to a supportive team, relevant policy training, expanded knowledge of political negotiations and governance processes, a network of like-minded professionals, collaborative opportunities with organizational partners, a platform to showcase your work or initiatives, and the chance to engage in high-profile discussions with senior policymakers, negotiators, professionals, and journalists.
How to apply
- Please read the description of the position here.
- Fill out the online application, including the submission of your CV here.
- Talk to your National YMCA about applying. You will need their approval and endorsement to attend.
- Send your application by 7 September 2023.
- Participate in an online short interview, where the members of the selection committee can go over your application and discuss questions.
● On request, subsidies for flights and/or accommodation will be available for delegates with limited funding. However, please bear in mind that nobody will be 100% subsidized, and we hope that National Movements can fund the participation of their own applicants.
● Availability for at least one week between 30 November and 12 December is required.
● Ability to travel to and enter the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) is essential.
● Commitment to at least 10 hours of remote training via Zoom prior to the Conference is mandatory.
● Agreement to legal terms and conditions of being a delegation member, and adherence to organizational policies, are required.
Funding concerns should not discourage you from applying. If unsure about expense coverage, apply, and we will try to work with you to find a solution.
● Written endorsement signed by your National General Secretary or President of your National YMCA board is mandatory
● Valid national passport and/or visa to enter and leave the UAE. Visa letters will be provided if needed.
● Understanding and competency in at least one relevant subject area.
● Comfort and familiarity with international travel.
● Diplomatic mindset, openness to cultural differences and perspectives, and understanding of international communities and historical events shaping the modern world.